Many people think that you need a lot of money to start investing in the stock market. On the contrary, you can get started investing for as little as $25. Thanks to the internet, stock investing is accessible to individuals of all walks of life. All you really need to get started is an internet connection and a bank account.
One thing that you must understand when you are just getting started investing is that this is not a get rich quick scheme. You should not expect to make $1000 from an initial investment of $25 in a week. You need to recognize that investing in the stock market is a long term process. Of course, there are experienced stock traders out there that make lots of money day trading, but if you are new to this type of investment, then you should take your time and learn.
If you do not know anything about stock market investing, then you should really think about investing time and a few bucks to learn. The money that you spend now to get familiar with stock investing will pay off in the long run. One of the reasons why people lose money investing in stock is because they do not understand the basics. Stock market investing is one of the riskiest investment vehicles out there. Consequently, if you are clueless about how the stock market works, then your risk exposure is magnified.
So here is what you need to do to get started investing with little money:
- Find a stock broker that does not require a large minimum investment to open an account. You are looking for a broker that requires a minimum of $1000 or less to open an account. Some of the online brokers that fit this criteria are E-trade, Sharebuilder, and Firstrade. You also want to look at how much the broker charges you per trade or transaction. If they are charging over $10 per transaction, then it may not be worth it to open an account with them.
- Once you have found a broker that you would like to use, then you need to open the account. Be prepared to have to verify your identity and bank account information. Opening an account is simple but it can be tedious. You may also be required to fund your account before it is opened.
- Once you have opened your brokerage account, then you need to familiarize yourself with the account. Most online brokerages have a suite of tools that you can use for tracking your trades or researching your potential investments.
- Before you start actually investing in stocks, you need to make sure you understand the basics of stock market investing. There are several resources available to you offline and online. Some of the resources are paid and some of the resources are free. You can even subscribe to some free online investing newsletters to get tips on investing.
- Once you have an understanding of how the stock market works, then you should be able to make educated investment decisions. Of course, even with the best education, you will still have some bad investments. Nevertheless, with some type of investment knowledge, you will have a better chance of making good investment decisions.
Finally, no matter how much money you are starting off with, you still need to find out how the stock market works before you start investing your actual cash.